Understanding the Do’s and Don’ts of Using ExamMonitor
ExamMonitor is a remote proctoring/invigilation solution for exam security from any location, for small-scale, large-scale, and online courses, so it is important for exam-takers to understand how ExamMonitor works and how to prevent false flags regarding potential integrity breaches.
How ExamMonitor Works on Exam Day
- ExamID verifies the exam-taker’s identity at login and ExamMonitor begins recording video and audio at the start of the exam — without the need for WiFi.
- When the exam is completed, the video and audio files are automatically uploaded along with answer files and stored securely within ExamSoft.
- The advanced A.I. system analyzes the exam-taker’s movement, eye gaze, background noise, and more for any indications of academic dishonesty.
- Exam administrators receive a detailed report of any suspected incidences of academic dishonesty with the ability to review the recordings in question.
What to Do During the Exam
Exam-takers should follow these ExamMonitor guidelines for a smooth and successful assessment experience:
- Take the exam in a well-lit room with front-facing lighting
- Make sure your webcam lens is clear and free of dirt or debris
- Remain seated for the entire exam
- Always keep your eyes on the screen
- Stay quiet throughout the exam
What Not to Do During the Exam
To prevent being flagged by ExamMonitor, exam-takers must avoid this list of “suspicious activities” the A.I. system may report:
- No Speaking, Background Noise, or Other People in the Room
Do not talk, read out-loud, or have any devices turned on in the background (e.g. TV, radio, music, etc.). No one is allowed in the room with you during the exam.
- No Unusual or Excessive Movement
The A.I. system monitors your baseline movement patterns. Avoid any unnecessary or excessive movement and gestures, like leaning over or waving your hands.
- No Leaving the View of the Camera
Do not move from your seat or leave the view of the device’s camera for any reason, including using the restroom. Do not attempt to block the view of the camera.
- No Unauthorized Materials
Unless allowed by your instructor, external resources are strictly prohibited during an exam. Looking away from the screen to read a textbook or write notes will be flagged.
- No Using External Devices
Turn off all external devices before an exam. No mobile phones, tablets, or other electronics of any kind are permitted.
- No Wearing Hats or Headphones
Do not use earphones/headphones and make sure your ears are always uncovered. Do not wear a hat, scarf, or any other type of headwear.
Download the exam-taker guide for quick tips on exam day: